Thursday, November 29, 2012


Where Are You?




Where am I?  I am from the great state of Nebraska.  The good life, home of the cornhuskers.  I am from the state where on game day for the cornhuskers the Memorial Stadium is just a sea of red.  I am from a place where a weed is the state flower (Golden rod).  I am located in a state where all you see on either side of the interstate is corn and bean fields.  My location is in the center of the United States and my state’s outline closely resembles a gun.  I live in a rural setting and I enjoy it too.  I am from the state where some people believe we still live without power; and our only means of transportation is a horse and buggy.  I am from a state where the original Runza was made and has been enjoyed for quite a while.

I am from a small town.  Where the community members will rally and cheer you on to victory every game night.  The community is very much involved in High school sports and loves to go to each team’s games whether they are away or on home turf.  I am from a town where small businesses thrive and are growing.  Farmers are joined at the hip with the local cooperative.  My town supports people like me who want to achieve small things and go on to live big lives.  I am from a town of about 4,225 people.  People know each other and care about what is going on in their lives. 

Where am I from? I am from a power house of a school.  Where it doesn’t matter if you are in athletics or arts you will fit into to some sort of group and make great friends.  I am from a school setting where being a “band geek” is a good thing.  Where the teachers know you by name.  You aren’t a number or what’s-his-bucket or what’s-his-face.  These teachers will call you out in a crowd of people by your name.  I am from a school where the guidance counselors are just that; a person to guide you through your whole high school career.  Our guidance councilors take the time to get to know you personally and they really want to know how you are doing.  They do this to each and every student in the high school.  The school where I am from pushes you to be the best you can be.

Where am I from?  I am from a loving family. A family that is easy to forgive and forget.  A family that will help you when you need it, but will also let you figure out problems by yourself.  I am from a family that will support me in anything I plan to do with my life.  They will be my crutch or band-aid when I fall down.  However they won’t just let me lay there and get stepped on by people walking by.  No, they are the family that will pick me up, dust off my back side and get me going the winding and twisting trail better known as life.

I am from the middle of nowhere…literally.  I am from the country, I always have lived out there.  Being from the country is like living in a totally different world.  Out here it is open and peaceful.  It’s not crazy and loud.  Most days you can hear either one of two things, a song or the wind blowing.  I am from clean air and bright stars.  Where on a clear night you can see the faint dusting of the Milky Way.  I am from a home where your closest neighbor is about one mile away if you’re lucky.  Where my backyard ends where the neighbors fence begins.  I am from a house of green doors and old barn buildings.  I am from where no one really puts up X-mas lights because no one comes around to admire them.  The people who do put up their lights are the brave ones because they have to climb up to their high roofs.  I am from a neighborhood of farmers.  We work the land and raise crops for a living.  I am also from cattle raisers.  No one better understands cattle than us.

I am proud of where I come from and I wouldn’t want to change any of it.  Where I have come from has made me the person I am today.  If I were to change any place that I have come from I would be a different person.  The places I will go in my future will also shape me as a person too.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,

    I love how this posting follows the George Ella Lyon poem, "Where I am From." You really described your place so well, but none better than these beautiful words, my favorites:

    "Most days you can hear either one of two things, a song or the wind blowing. I am from clean air and bright stars. Where on a clear night you can see the faint dusting of the Milky Way. I am from a home where your closest neighbor is about one mile away if you’re lucky. Where my backyard ends where the neighbors fence begins."

    Amazing post!! Kudos!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete